Friday, July 22, 2005

black canvas bags

So I just got back from the Bain & Co. open house in New York. Before that, it was the MBA JumpStart event in Chicago. And before that, it was the MLT Citigroup Bootcamp in New York, too. And I now have a set of black canvas bags with various logos on them. It's funny, my roommate at JumpStart warned me that I might get more than a few logo'd black canvas bags. And now I have three.

In addition to the bags and various other company freebies, I also have a better understanding of two of the more popular post-MBA careers--investment banking and management consulting--several others, and a sense of where I could see myself in two years. Just as I thought I could chill for a minute and catch my breath after the whirlwind of research, campus visits, and applications, I see that it is all beginning again. With the first University bill only two weeks away, I am having to choose my events carefully to conserve what few duckets I have available to spend. But I find that I am able to find focus already by seeing a broad view of the lay of the land. And while I am endeavoring to keep an open mind, I am also finding that the plan I wrote about in my essays is still a good plan. What a novel concept: to set out to plan to do what you planned to set out to do.

It's a safe bet that I won't pursue investment banking. A good friend has been trying to convince me that the temporary sacrifice is worth the vast financial rewards, career options, and knowledge gained. It doesn't fit me, though. I can tell. I like having some semblance of a life, and the prospect of seeing my husband from time to time, not to mention family and friends. The lifestyle doesn't pass my hit by a bus test: if I'm hit by a bus tomorrow morning, would I be happy with what I did with my life today?

It's also a safe bet that I will pursue management consulting. It's corny to admit it, but working on a case makes my heart beat faster. It's probably part anxiety that I don't know what I'm doing. The other part is that I care about the outcome and want to figure it out. Sort of like exercise, and reminds me of what learning feels like.

I could also pursue HR or general management. HR was always a fun part of my job, and a few firms seemed to have some good opportunities there, too. I also want to explore Management Associate rotational programs; these seem to be a good way to get to know a business from various angles fairly quickly.

Some of the firms I have met through recent travels: Lehman Brothers, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, Banc of America, McKinsey, Bain, Booz Allen Hamilton, The Boston Consulting Group, CSFB, UBS, and Morgan Stanley.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mbwana said...

Good to hear you'vee been busy doing some research.

Yeah, can't believe it's getting so close.

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home