Thursday, May 26, 2005

reserving the right

Why is it that Stanford seems to like to reserve its right to rescind my offer of admission? I can say that it likes to do this because I've gotten, not one but, TWO notices reminding me that it can. The first time was back in 1995--I still have the letter. It said, we notice that you appear to have senioritis, and it's messing up our numbers. We don't appreciate the fact that you've turned into a total slacker. Knock it off, or we'll rescind our offer of admission.

My guidance counselor was pissed--how dare they! And to one of her students? I had to talk her down and make her put down the letterhead. She was ready to rumble. To take it outside. The truth was, I hadn't been slacking off (well, at least not any more than any of my friends). After I got my first admit, I did start traveling with a pack of cards in my back pocket. But I was still working pretty darn hard--even taking some risks with my academics and going outside of my comfort zone. Hence the B- that sent up the flag. But I kept that letter.

I received the second one just recently. We're routinely verifying your application. We don't think you're a con, but if we find anything adverse, you got some 'xplainin' to do, and quickly, too. And if we're not satisfied, we want you to remember that we reserve the right to rescind our offer of admission.

I wonder why the University thinks I need this particular reminder again. How many times do they have to remind us not to lie? It made me feel guilty, and all along I thought I was innocent. But I double-checked my AY application to be sure. I hope I'm right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home