Wednesday, September 28, 2005

half past 1

So I'm half past week 1 of classes here. I am currently sitting in my room in the dorm procrastinating the stuff I need to get done by tomorrow. I already feel that I am out of my element. People are so different when they're not all the same. So I've been doing my best to at least make a neutral impression.

I already have a good sense of the classes that will kick my behind: modeling and econ. For some reason, I've decided that the statistics class, euphemistically referred to as "data and decisions," will not break me. Had to draw the line somewhere. Else I'd be crying in my beer right now.

Slept for 12 hours the other night. Not completely sure why, but it felt good. I've been trying to adjust to the schedule. Maybe it's because I went rafting this weekend on one of those organized trips with my classmates. Even out there, I didn't stay up past midnight. My classmates, on the other hand, have really been living it up. Rewind back to frosh year of college for a minute and imagine people overdrinking, overlaughing, and overconnecting with each other. Yep, that's it. But that stuff seems to be subsiding a bit as we get into our classes and begin to freak the f*c* out about how much we need to learn.

Being away from home is somewhat of a strain, and I miss my 3 hours a night of television and my bed. I also miss L, but I get to see him around midweek and on the weekends and would rather not talk so much about that part of this experience because it will make me homesick. I get to see my real bed about once a week, and the rest of the time get to sleep on the yoga mat they call a mattress in Schwab. Pretty hard to believe that my real home is only an hour away--it seems like much longer sometimes. I wanted the total immersion experience, and dagnabit, I think I'm getting it.

All that said, I can't help but feel extremely happy and fortunate and that I'm in such a rare place in time and space. It's a bit surreal, actually. Hard to explain but others here seem to be able to instantly relate to it. But there's plenty to keep our minds off of the real world. For example, I signed up to get more info on a bunch of clubs today. I made a log of the clubs I was interested in, those I signed up for, and how much they cost. Looks like I have the potential to spend over $200 on dues alone. I purposely came without my checkbook so I could sign up, get info, and decide later after I get myself buried a bit in work whether I want to fully commit.

Anyway. I've got several assignments with my name on them, (actually, they're just blank forms at this point since I haven't started them yet.) , so I'd better get back to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home