Friday, February 11, 2005

Good better best: Interview invite 2 and 3

"Good better best: never let it rest. Until your good becomes better, and your better best."

So lately I've been working on reconstructing a life outside of work and "the community." I thought burn out was for bankers, VC's, doctors, and other known stress professionals. I guess it can happen to us nonprofit people, too. Somehow, when I "get a life," I immediately lose 5-7 pounds and become more productive at work. This has only happened to me twice, but I think two data points should be enough to support my anecdotal conclusion.

In addition to applying to be a bingo caller at a retirement home<--no word back on this yet, I finally picked up my mother-in-law's book about navigating the public school system to raise academically successful kids. It's been sitting around the house for ages, but I have never managed to make it all the way through. So right now, I'm full of ditties like the above.

It's kinda of neat to have my MIL's childrearing best practices distilled into a book. It'll make it easier to navigate if we ever had kids. I received a damn good public education in Illinois without the benefit of a lot of what's needed to get ahead out here in California, and went to the same university she got her kids into, so sometimes, I tend to be a bit clueless.

Anyhow, back to the subject: I got my Super Saturday invitation today from Haas, and I'm pretty psyched about it. Incidentally, I also got the off-campus mandatory interview invite from Kellogg within 2 hours of Haas', so it looks like the universe is giving me a beautiful afternoon today.

No more me as I am. Better Me will arrive at the interviews with agenda firmly implanted. I will not forget that it is an interview, and not just an interesting conversation with some cool person I just met. I will not take too long to explain. I will not be frank. I will suppress my tendency for wisetiy answers.

It's weird, with the pressure of my first interview off, it's like the mystique is gone and it's all very simple now. Sort of like my GMAT experience, but with less of the huge crushing failure the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home