Tuesday, February 08, 2005

How to improve to interview again

So in my last post I said I thought it went well. Several days later, I still believe it wasn't too bad, but I have definitely taken some points from the last interview to improve on my next one, should I receive another invitation.

First off, I don't think I ever shared with my interview my long-term goal. I'm not quite certain that my short-term goals even came up. I think when I was asked about my passion, I could have used that as an opportunity to get to my goals, but instead I started talking about how much I care about improving the quality of life for those around me.

Second, when asked to choose my strongest point among general management, being a charismatic and evangelical leader, and my professional network, I chose general management! At the time, I think I thought of management as running projects and keeping an organization up and running. That, I can do. After reflection, though, I realize that general management in the more holistic sense is not my strongest suit among the three. Darnit, that's why I want to go back to school -- to get more of that formal management learning, best practices stuff, and less of the hit the ground and go go go and figure it out at some point along the way. My strongest suit is most probably the network of professionals around me and their diverse skill sets and the resources they bring to the work we do together. D'oh! Let's hope it did not do too much damage.

Summary: must remember to stay on task somehow. Mustn't forget that an interview is also a presentation of myself and my case. I think I expected questions to be more linear (let's talk about your past, why MBA, then about your future) and scripted and less like asking me to open my book of life to a specific page and let's talk about what happened in that chapter. Mustn't get bogged down in the chapter and not forget to address the whole plot of the story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home