Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Under administrative review: GMAT again!

So I got a letter from ETS saying that my last test is under "routine administrative review." What does this mean? I called to find out. Apparently, each time you take the test, the test administrators believe they are getting the best you can do. There's a threshold of the largest score difference that can be reasonably expected. And when you're not within the range, they want to know why.

Don't believe this hype! There's another statement that the average score improvement is 30 points or some such. If I believed that, I wouldn't have written that first one off as a foolish, Red Bull-induced waking nightmare. For some of us, this is the first time we're taking a standardized test on a computer. It has an effect. For some of us, doing the whole test first, then coming back to the hard ones was the way we did well on paper-based tests. That no longer applies. It takes some getting used to.

Rely on your gut that tells you what you can do, and when that feeling is not in line with your test score, debrief and figure out why. I really believe it was this sort of self-assessment that helped me get it right the second time around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home