Friday, January 13, 2006

chocolate butterflies

So I was walking to Schwab today. And I happened to be walking from a direction that I don't usually go. I was walking from Escondido Village. I was taking in the afternoon and the breeze. I just passed a tree with a metal tag on it, and was reminded of how the University keeps track of all of its trees. It knows how many trees there are on campus. I had hear this stated confidently, so I was pondering whether it was a rumor, or was it plausible.

Anyway, so I was walking, and I saw a brown butterfly with wings the color of chocolate syrup with a butter yellow edge. It caught wind here and there, and meandered past me. And I thought, how good is it to be alive and enjoying the beauty of a butterfly in the afternoon? See, that's the difference between autumn and winter quarter. Autumn quarter, there are no butterflies--just mandatory things. Winter quarter, so far, is all about choice. Sure, there are core classes. But these are classes I might choose to take, given the choice. And I can choose to take more classes. Or get more involved in clubs. Or take on a group project. I could shadow an alum in a job function I want to investigate over spring break. Or, I could apply and maybe get accepted into the new Brazil service learning trip. Are you friggin kidding me? This is on top of all the career choices that are being presented at the same time this quarter. So many choices. So many people to talk to about them all. So much opportunity.

So now I am at a bit of a crossroads. I can enjoy the sun and the exploration and the pondering. Or I can get cracking on the job front. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to do both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home